History of 2000 DS

As winter drew in they got some gigs in Germany and Holland including Hamburg and Bremen where people seemed to be getting into the music. By this time there didn’t seem to be a show around so they just tried to continue with the bands which after all were the main focus of the show anyway. They ended up in Groningen for 3 months and when the roughest part of the year struck everybody ended up getting really ill from what the Dutch call English fever. There weren’t as many trucks left and Only the coach, flatbed.army truck, circus truck and a new addition an old Bedford bus that had been left in the south of France by one of the D.S.members(two years before). Whilst picking up the bus they played a gig at town festival in Foix which was really strange. The Xmas and new year was spent skint and ill in freezing Groningen. Danny had come over to play, but only played one gig and found the going rather tough with no money and the cold and decided to go back to Bath. A wildnan named N.Z. Richard joined and played six gigs but got drunk one night and found himself on a plane back to New Zealand. Goodbye N.Z. Richard. After this we decided the only thing that could hold us and the situation together would be by recording an album. squat  Feb. ‘90 - April ‘90 So after six weeks of not gigging and about six months of not practicing they decided that money or lack of equipment was not going to stop it happening. One week later payment was made to book a studio in A.Dam called The Cavern Studios which was run by a guy from Liverpool. The studio was named after a squat club in Liverpool, but the place was about a quarter of the size of the club,(yes, very small), nearly claustrophobic. A.Dam is a nice place to have a good session but when it comes to working its ****ing impossible, because your always to f**ing stoned!! and also the city became too slow, especially in the hardcore music scene. Anyway we went ahead with it and arrived half a day late with the drums, plus we had to use old skins and hi hat cymbals for crashes. We spent two days trying to remember the old songs that we still had not given any real arrangement too. Anyway, after a lot of scrounging we paid up for the recording time which came to a lot ofscammings worth of money. The recording, after listening to it too many times, was by more than half the bands views (CRAP), but was still a bit hardcore, and it seemed to be going down O.K to a friends fanzine who reviewed it. Also it held the band together at the time. The album was recorded 27/11/90 and after scamming more money the album finally came out in Dec 90. There was no manager, no record label, no distribution deal, the record had no numbers on it at all and was totally independently released, only sold at gigs or through fanzines. official-error The only problem was it took another year before the album came out due to lack of money, they ended up selling nearly half the show to get it out. Anyway, after finishing recording they decided to go to the Basque and the North of Italy to do some gigs, because A.Dam was full of hippies with no hardcore music scene. Everybody was just stoned all the time and not really pushing, everyone was just waiting for something to happen instead of going out and grabbing it. Richard and Gus seemed to be enjoying themselves but Gary had lived there many timesbefore and found it boring, especially with no music scene going down. Paul just wanted to keep moving on, so after three days of waiting for Richard and Gus (when they eventually arrived with more excuses) they were thrown into a truck andoff they went, away from hippy city and off to the trashlands.

4 thoughts on “History of 2000 DS

  1. i lived in bovay st when you guys were there. im not ben death obvs but he is the one i remember best. he was the first person i ever met on e. i helped u guys rip out the radiators and the parque flooring. not sure if that was sold or just burnt. there was a remnant of the somerset stonhenge traveller family who had been brutalised by the gloucestershire police. this must have been around 87. met ben in 88 in the central cafe amsterdam, still in his top hat. i have to say most of the people at bovay street were selfish up themselfs arsholes. ben on the other hand was a sweet guy. btw if you want pix see if the daily mirror achcives have any. i let them in wghen i was on the door one night for £20 each :d peace and love and all that xx

    1. Nice on Ben

      I am going to put up a message board /forum so that folks can share their memories of Gary DS and the Wreck N Roll Cirkus. Hopefully we will have some re-releases coming out in the very bear future.

  2. Just found out about the death of Gary and friend? and members of his family. after checking out 2000ds stuff on utube. tragic and shocking, and upsetting, condolences to family an all those close.
    Kev-sax player from Phoneys

  3. We used to go to the Fire Station squat parties I really enjoyed them
    I kept loads of flyers from the different venues around London
    I still have them after all these years in a box

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *